Saturday, May 10, 2014

Disagreement or Hate?

Michael Sam.  Jason and David Benham.

Three men that have been the source of controversy today as I turned on the news.  One, being celebrated for his lifestyle.  The other two, fired for their beliefs.  


Michael Sam is the first openly gay college football player that was drafted by the St. Louis Rams in today's last round of the NFL Draft.  He had cameras in his house and was profiled by ESPN as the announcement came through that he was drafted.  Breaking down in tears, he turned and hugged and kissed his boyfriend on national television.  Jason and David Benham are brothers that were recently fired from HGTV for stating their stance against homosexuality, according to their faith, on national television. They were deemed "hateful" by a large group of people.  


After watching Michael Sam on television and what the media had to say about him, I was outraged.  But maybe not for the reasons that you think.  I'm outraged by the underlying sometimes blatant label I'm given.  Sure, I have a strong belief in Jesus Christ and I know that He is my Lord and Savior.  I would be what society labels a "Conservative Christian".


I do not support the act of homosexuality.  In other words: "I'm a hateful bigot". 


I'm sure there are those of you who have already decided to stop reading and have decided to go through with the ultimate act of revenge....de-friending me on Facebook.  All I can ask is that you finish reading.  If you still think I'm a jerk after reading this, I can accept that.  Just don't label me a bigot.  


One of the great things about this country, is that you are free to disagree with others.  But what's becoming more commonplace is the scary opinion that if one disagrees with another, that equates with hatred.  That is simply untrue.  I disagree with a lot of things about others but in my own heart, mind, and actions, that doesn't equal hate.  As a follower of Christ, I'm called to think and believe as He does.  What goes hand in hand with that belief is the call to love whom He loves.  


I'm a firm believer in Pro-Life, yet have close friends that have experienced abortion.  I don't love them any less.  I don't drink or smoke, but don't look down on those that do.   I don't support the gay lifestyle, but here's the most important fact:  That doesn't mean I hate homosexuals.  These kinds of implications leave us skating on dangerously thin ice.  If a simple disagreement of opinions can be considered a hateful crime in this country, we're dangling precariously over a pit of censorship wherein the First Amendment, and our right to freely express our opinions without fear of repercussions, becomes the first casualty.  


We are turning into a country where the First Amendment only works if you believe the same way that the mainstream believes.  We are turning into a country that says "If you disagree with me, than you hate me, and that is wrong.  But I can hate you for disagreeing with me."  From Phil Robertson all the way to the Benham brothers, people are being discriminated against because they disagree with a way a lifestyle that they don't choose to live.  Please let that last sentence sink in a bit.  I'm not talking about the thugs that go out and bash, commit violent acts against, or threaten homosexuals.  I'm talking about a society where I can't simply disagree with something that goes against my faith and my values without being discriminated against.  Hatred is being determined much more by someones opinion than it is by their actions, and that is flat out wrong.  


I'm not here to tell you the exact reasons I don't agree with someones lifestyle or exactly why I believe the way that I do.  That's not the point.  I'm here to tell you that I have an opinion.  A belief.  And that should be allowed.  To turn on the television and see one man praised for making a statement, and another ostracized simply because he disagrees, is not the road this country should be comfortable with traveling down.  


The key here is respect.  I will respect your opinions and your beliefs, regardless of whether I believe in them or not, and love you every second through it.  However, I must ask that you do the same for me.   If we could simply respect each other, and love one another, a lot of these issues would resolve themselves.  


In order to love one another,  we have to be able to look beyond certain behaviors and see each person as an individual.  Step one of that is not to claim that just because someone disagrees with you or your lifestyle, that they have hate against you.  Difference does not equal hate, and until this country understands this, it will be a very slippery slope from here on out.  


I love you all.  




3 comments:

  1. Love this post Matt. I will never defriend you for telling it how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I don't know you, but agree with everything that you've written. If you don't mind, I would like to share this on my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written! Does that agreement make me a bully? We are moving toward a society where having a spine is a negative trait. This is both true on the "aggressor" side as well as the "victim". If I look at you funny, perhaps it's not about you at all, and even if it is directed at you at that moment, get over it and move on. I am generally described as an easy going kind of guy, but this country is really beginning to scare the heck out of me.

    Another bit of awesomeness that I have seen from you is that you have taught your kids respect; both toward yourselves and others... Another "fad" that only lasted 200 years under this government. Let's not let that fade in this society either. :-)

    Please continue being a "hateful bigot" as long as you possibly can. I will be happy to share a thought police cell with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete