Friday, June 3, 2011

Hurt

I've stated before that I want this blog to be a lighthearted, sometimes comical read about my walk with Christ.  Today won't be that type of read.  I hope you bear with me as I get something out that's heavy on my heart today.

I have such a blessing to be able to run three youth groups.  Fuel (Jr. High age), Octane (High School age), and Revolution (LifeGroup for Juniors and Seniors in High School).  This week has been an amazingly tough week for Revolution.  Wednesday, I get a text from one of my youth saying this: "Why does God let bad things happen Matt?  I don't understand...He was such a great kid and now he's dead.  WHY?!".   I didn't know what had happened yet.  After calling this girl, I found out that a close friend to a multiple of my students, had committed suicide.  

This morning, I was at work and I receive another text from a different student: "Why did he have to go?  Why does this happen?"  At first I thought that she was meaning the same young man that died on Wednesday.  No.  Another teenage kid, close friends with this same youth group, had been in a car accident and passed away.  I was crushed.  I have received multiple texts, calls, and emails all stemming with this same question:  Why did they have to die?  Why did God let this happen? 

I have to be honest.  I'm struggling writing this right now because of how heavy my heart is.  Being in the position that I am in at my church, I have become close to these youth.  I have emotionally invested myself in them more than I realized until the events this week.  I hate seeing them in so much pain. 

I have learned one thing from leading teenagers, I have to be honest with them.  It took me a while to build trust with them, and I know that it can be lost in an instant.  I made a promise to them that I would never lie to them.  If I didn't know the answer to their questions, I would find the answer for them and not pretend like I knew it all.  That includes the question that I got multiple times today:  Why did God take them so young?

My answer is this.  I don't know.

I wish I could give them a concrete answer that would take all their pain away. These youth are searching for answers.  They don't want a solid answer, they need a solid answer, and I don't have it.  I don't know why things happen the way that they do. 

What I am sure of is this:  I trust in God to be God.  God is the Great Creator.  God didn't create this wonderfully, beautiful universe to walk away from it. Nor is he going to walk away from you.  God had a plan from the beginning, which included the need for Jesus and your need for a savior at a time like this. 
Paul writes, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort."

But I know, as well as God, that the kindest words are not consolation enough when we are troubled especially by death, so what did He promise? A Spirit to bring you close to God in times just like this.
Jesus told his disciples, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."  You are Jesus' disciples.  Jesus is offering to help comfort you now if you turn to Him, now and in the future, when you are hurting. 

God doesn't gain happiness by seeing you in so much pain.  I don't have a mind like God, so I can't give those answers that you search.  I know this.  Jesus Christ loves you.  Jesus Christ wants to comfort you.  Jesus Christ will never leave you. 

Turn your eyes to Christ to find His strength.  Feed off His strength.  You don't have to do this alone.  Trust in the fact that His great love will never fail you.  Hold God to His word.  He will comfort you. 

I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. You are in a hard position at this time. As you stated these young people need and deserve an answer. The only person that can give them the answer they need will be found while on their knees and head bowed.God will give an answer and comfort to these painful questions. I pray you and yours find the answers you need.

    ReplyDelete