Sunday, June 12, 2011

May I Help?

I recently received an email from one of my "followers" to this blog.  Tammy is a mother of two, and someone that I've grown close to over the years.  She has seen me at my best and been with me through the worst. Although we drifted apart for a few years, we have recently renewed our friendship.  The email she wrote explained how she loves reading my blog with her 12 year old daughter, Devyn.  I even received an email from Devyn telling me she loves reading this blog. 

This got my mind racing.  How cool to have an activity to look forward to with your children.  Even though this blog may not be that exciting, I think it's neat to spend quality time together.  I remember when I was little, my Dad and I would read the "Green Mile" together.  This was the time when Stephen King only released a few chapters each month.  Every month we would anxiously await the release of the chapters, and then spend that afternoon together reading it.  Some of the best afternoons ever.

As I was reminiscing about this, I was drawn to different experiences I've had with my daughter and one story was brought to the center of my memory. 

My daughter was around 4 years old at the time.  I was outside mowing the lawn and I clearly remember looking at her face pressed against the sliding glass door from the inside.  She wanted to be outside with Dad.  I let go of the lawn mower and pulled open the slider for her to come outside.  I made sure to tell her to stay on the patio because mowing the lawn wasn't for kids.  As I turned to push the mower, I felt her go under my arms and grab the handle to push.  She was outside with Dad but now she wanted to help Dad.  I quit pushing for a second, and the mower came to a complete stop.   Barely able to see over the handles, she was frantically trying to push.  She wanted to show me that she could help.  Her feet were slipping on the grass as she kept trying and trying.  I was laughing at her futile attempt to help, and admired how cute she was trying to be as much assistance to me as possible.  At first I wanted to say "Hey, get out of the way. I still have a lot of lawn left."  But instead, I said "Let me help you, Mikaila".   Together we started pushing.  I was bent over and walking wide-legged the whole time so not to step on her little feet.  After awhile my back started hurting.  I almost told her to get out of the way, but I loved how much she wanted to "help".  The grass ended up being cut but a lot less efficiently because Mikaila was "helping".  She even helped me put ketchup on my foot and ran inside to tell Mom that "Daddy cut his foot off!"  I love that little girl. 



After wondering why this story popped into my head, it dawned on me.  This is the same type of way that my Heavenly Father allows me to 'help' Him build His kingdom.  I could picture God at work seeking, saving, and transforming the lost, and here I am with my weak little hands, 'helping'.  I know that God could do the work Himself, and a lot more efficiently, but He condescends to allowing us to work with Him.  How honored I am that He allows me to help and to minister with Him!

Our God takes the time to include all His children in His life.  This is an example that we as parents should follow.  Tammy and Devyn are doing their part.  Our time with our children is essential, and is NEVER wasted.  It doesn't matter how small the task, it is never small to our children.  God is not merely like a father, He is a father. 

Children can live without many things, but love is not one of them.  Perhaps the greatest gift a parent can give a child, besides the knowledge of the Lord, is the knowledge that they are loved unconditionally. 

We need to love them like God the Father loves us. 

1 comment: